Friday 5 April 2024

Fee for knocking my door

One of the houses I deliver newspaper had its mailbox blocked, so I knocked on the door.

Mr. David, an elderly man with unsteady steps, slowly opened the door. 

I asked, "Sir, why is your mailbox blocked?"

He replied, "I blocked on purpose."

He smiled and continued, "I want you to deliver the newspaper to me every day. Please knock the door or ring the bell and hand it to me in person."

I was puzzled and replied, "Sure, but that seems inconvenience for both of us and a waste of time."

He said, "It's all right. I'll pay you extra each month as Knocking Fee.

With a pleading expression, he added, "If there ever comes a day when you knock on the door and find no response, please call the police."

I was shocked and asked, "Why, Sir?"

He replied, "My wife passed away, my son is abroad, and I live here all alone, who knows when my time will come."

At that moment, I saw the old man's misty, moist eyes.

He further said, "I never read the newspaper. I subscribe it to hear the sound of knocking or doorbell ringing. To see a familiar face and exchange few pleasantries." 

He clasped his hands and said, "Young man, please do me a favour. Here's my son's overseas phone number. If one day you knock on the door and I don't answer, please call my son to inform him."

After reading this, I realised there are so many solitary, lonely, elderly people among our circle of friends.

Sometimes, you might wonder why they, in their old age, still send messages on WhatsApp, just like days they were still working.

Actually, the significance of these morning and evening greetings is similar to the meaning of knocking or ringing the doorbell; it's a way of wishing each other safety and conveying care.

Now-a-days, WhatsApp is very convenient, and we don't need to subscribe to newspapers anymore. 

If you have the time, teach your elderly family members how to use WhatsApp

One day, if you don't receive their morning greetings or shared articles, they might be unwell or something may have happened to them.

Please care for your friends and family. After reading this, my eyes welled up with tears. I deeply understood the significance of our WhatsApp messages to each other.

[Thank you, Rosetta, for sharing this with us.]

No comments:

Post a Comment